Nov. 23, 2016: Special Presentation of Connect: NY – Race, Policing and Respect
November 23, 2016
A special presentation of WCNY’s Connect NY: Race, policing and respect. Studies show black men are disproportionately subject to excessive and deadly police force. Unfortunately, like so many communities across the country, the City of Syracuse has witnessed this tragedy first-hand. How can we foster both safety and mutual respect between communities of color and the police at a time when mistrust is so deeply felt on both sides?
Our panel includes:
- Chief Frank Fowler, Chief of the Syracuse City Police Department
- Sam Rowser, Executive Director – OnPoint for College
- Stephanie Miner, Mayor of the City of Syracuse
- Jens David Ohlin, Assoc. Dean for Academic Affairs and Professor of Law at Cornell Law School
- Derrick Dorsey, President of the Syracuse City School Board and former Executive Director of the Boys and Girls Club of Syracuse.
- Councilman Khalid Bey, Syracuse City Council.