WCNY, Central New York’s own member-supported public broadcasting station, is an exciting, cutting-edge multimedia company leveraging TV, radio, social media and print and was the proud winner of the CenterState CEO 2014 Business of the Year award in the nonprofit category. WCNY reaches 19 counties and nearly 2 million people with content that inspires, educates, and entertains.
WCNY provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Our Human Resource department reviews every application. Unfortunately, because of the high volume of applications we receive, we cannot guarantee a response to every one. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
This year marks our 50th anniversary, and we are looking for the right person to join our sales team. The Media Sales Executive will work with a driven and highly motivated team to support the sales operations of WCNY. You will be responsible for developing and maintaining new business and implementing successful multimedia marketing solutions from a diverse platform of products, including television, radio, web, print, and special events. We don’t sell spots and dots; we look to build true, long term partnerships that bring immense value to our clients and help them reach a hard-to-get consumer who is not typically swayed by traditional advertising. The atmosphere is performance-driven and deadline-driven. New employees are often surprised at how fast the pace is here. We are looking for a go-getter with a “get-it-done” mindset, as this is truly a new business generating role; you will not inherit a list of active accounts.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work independently with little supervision
- Meet important weekly metrics, ie. a high volume of phone calls and client visits
- Conduct proactive consultative needs analysis meetings with prospective clients
- Look for opportunities to develop monetize-able creative solutions, including customizable cross-platform opportunities that meet client needs
- Design, develop, and present sales proposals and presentations
- Develop new revenue quickly and proactively from untapped sources
- Exceed monthly and annual revenue goals
- Generate leads by media monitoring, contacting clients via telephone, face-to-face cold calling, and networking events
- Serve as a marketing consultant by providing prospects with industry trends and data
- Ensure clients receive superior customer service
- Work in conjunction with other business services support groups at WCNY, including marketing, media services, events, and radio and television production personnel
- BA/BS from an accredited four year college/university
- A minimum of two years’ experience in media sales
- Proven experience in prospecting new clients, generating sales leads and closing the sale
- “Teamwork makes the dream work” mentality; while our Media Sales Executives are independently driven to be number one, a cohesive team is crucial to our success
- Well organized
- Agency and client contacts in Central New York and the Mohawk Valley
- Understand brand & marketing objectives
- Strong communication, negotiation & presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal and client relation skills
- Able to multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with decision makers
- CRM sales management software experience with a leading platform, salesforce.com preferable
- Strong computer skills especially in Excel, Power Point, and Word
The IT & Broadcast Support Engineer will be responsible for maintaining the successful day-to-day operation including repair, maintenance, and installation of IT equipment supporting all WCNY television and radio facilities, transmission equipment, LAN and WAN links, and all business IT aspects ranging from servers to end-user IT support. This position will also be called upon to assist with the planning and management of current and future projects and special events in which WCNY systems or technology are required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of all IT-related systems supporting television and radio operations and production, transmission systems, building management, security, access control, core IT, and other systems as needed.
- Oversee day-to-day operation and management in all areas of IT including server and application management including end-user support.
- Participate in the execution of a long-range cross-training program for engineering personnel to enable department members to assist with end-user support.
- Be responsible for assuring the successful and reliable operation of critical, computer-based graphics, editing, storage, and other IT equipment supporting Radio and TV operations.
- Provide input to the Director of Technical Systems in the development of capital and maintenance budgets for the IT facilities to assure continuity of operation and fulfillment of long-term goals.
- Ensure successful execution of training to make staff self-sufficient and productive through the development of training materials and educational sessions. Interact with internal customers to provide and process information in response to inquiries, concerns, and requests about WCNY systems.
- Troubleshooting of all IT and broadcast systems through close cooperation with broadcast and building management staff. Diagnose and resolve technical hardware and software issues involving Internet connectivity, email clients, IPTV, VoIP and more.
- Be available on-call for technical emergencies for all operations (IT, web, TV and Radio Production, facilities, and special events) and to assist the transmitter and broadcast maintenance engineer on emergencies when necessary.
- Provide input to and participate in the development and implementation of a comprehensive IT security and disaster recovery plan.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest technology and trends in the IT field.
Credentials and Experience:
- Minimum 4-year degree in Computer Science or equivalent related experience.
- Highly developed computer skills, and experience in designing, installing and maintaining a windows based computer network system with at least 50 users.
- Experience with commonly used software packages including, but not limited to; Microsoft Office, Microsoft Lync Server 2010/2013, Windows Server 2008R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows 7, and common FTP clients such as FileZilla.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and perform multiple assignments under pressure and within deadline along with significant project management experience.
- Extreme attention to detail with the ability to multi-task, coordinate and complete multiple projects successfully to completion with minimal supervision.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with all levels of WCNY staff.
- Must possess a valid NYS driver’s license and have reliable transportation.
- Strong combination of IT Certifications such as MSCE, CompTIA, CCNE or equivalent working experience.
- Prior experience with television and radio automation system a strong plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, speak, and listen. The employee frequently is required to use hands, fingers and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. The employee must be able to communicate effectively in a variety of medium including orally, electronically, and in writing.
Qualified candidates should submit a letter and resume.
You can also mail your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
415 W. Fayette St.
PO Box 2400
Syracuse, NY 13204
Notice to Organizations Assisting Job Seekers:
If your organization distributes information about employment opportunities to job seekers or refers job seekers to employers, and would like to receive job vacancy notices for WCNY, please provide WCNY with the name, mailing address, e-mail address (if applicable), telephone number, fax number, and contact person and identify the category of vacancies for which you would like information specified above to the above address.
WCNY is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.