WCNY, Central New York’s own member-supported public broadcasting station, is an exciting, cutting-edge multimedia company leveraging TV, radio, social media, and print and was the proud winner of the CenterState CEO 2014 Business of the Year award in the nonprofit category. WCNY reaches 19 counties and nearly 2 million people with content that inspires, educates, and entertains.
WCNY provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Our Human Resource department reviews every application. Unfortunately, because of the high volume of applications we receive, we cannot guarantee a response to everyone. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
You can also mail your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
415 W. Fayette St.
Syracuse, NY 13204
Notice to Organizations Assisting Job Seekers:
If your organization distributes information about employment opportunities to job seekers or refers job seekers to employers, and would like to receive job vacancy notices for WCNY, please provide WCNY with the name, mailing address, e-mail address (if applicable), telephone number, fax number, and contact person and identify the category of vacancies for which you would like information specified above to the above address.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
WCNY is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Our people are the most valuable resource we have. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, self-expression, unique capabilities, and talent that our employees invest in their work represents a significant part of not only our culture, but our reputation and WCNY’s achievement as well. We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees unique – and our organization stronger.
The station is committed to having employees and programming that reflect the diverse environment of Central New York. The region covers a range of counties that include rural, urban, and suburban towns, villages, and cities. Across the region, the population is approximately 84% White, 6% Black, 4 % Asian, 4% Hispanic and 2% other. The median range is between 36 years old and 43 years old, depending on the county, and the area has a refugee and immigrant community that is growing, and strong LGBQT and veteran populations.
WCNY’s diversity initiatives are applicable, but not limited to, to our practices and policies on recruitment and selection; compensation and benefits; professional development and training; promotions; transfers; social and recreational programs; layoffs; terminations; and the ongoing development of a work environment built on the premise of gender and diversity equity that encourages:
• Respectful communication and cooperation between all employees.
• Teamwork and employee participation, permitting the representation of all groups and employee perspectives.
• Employer and employee contributions to the communities we serve to promote a greater understanding and respect for the diversity of the region we serve.
WCNY is an equal employment opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. As such, WCNY is committed to providing a work environment that is free of all forms of unlawful harassment, discrimination, and retaliation.
Are you a seasoned salesperson looking for a 30-hour work week with flexible hours M-F, in a great, community-focused non-profit company? If so, this in-house, Full-Time Representative position in our Auction department is just for you!
The Auction Representative is an on-site sales position soliciting donations of trips and related items for WCNY’s auction fundraisers through phone calls and emails.
– Make outbound solicitation calls and send follow-up emails to a predetermined list of past donors and prospects.
– Meet and exceed budgeted sales revenue while maintaining highest level of professionalism and customer service.
– Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively within a team environment.
Education and Key Skills
– Excellent written and verbal communication.
– Experience in call center environment (inbound & outbound calls) required.
– Proficient keyboard skills.
– Focus on delivering results.
– Self-confident, self-motivated, self-starter, results-orientated and success driven.
Required Education and Experience
– High school diploma required
– Associates Degree a plus
– Computer knowledge
– Email and phone Etiquette desired
– 1-2 years experience in customer service, auction, or Sales
– Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
– Standard Office Functions
Expected Work Hours
– Full-Time (30 hours per week) beginning immediately. Monday through Friday daytime work hours. This is an on-site position.
Job Type: Temporary: Non-exempt
– Employee Assistance Program
Pay rate: $17/Hour + Incentives
We require all to follow Covid-19 procedures per NYS Department of Health guidelines
– Account Executive
– WCNY PBS Central New York & the Mohawk Valley
– Television / Radio / Digital / Print / Events
WCNY, Central New York’s own member-supported public broadcasting station, is an exciting, forward-looking multimedia company leveraging TV, radio, Internet, social media, and print. WCNY reaches 19 counties and 1.8 million people with content that inspires, educates, and entertains.
WCNY is seeking a candidate who is a go-getter, able to manage sales projects with excellent critical thinking and communication skills and a proven sales track record. Self-driven problem solvers who can identify clients’ needs to create effective sales records in broadcasting are encouraged to apply.
Welcome to your new opportunity! This is an amazing position for an energetic, self-starting, self- motivated, and mission-driven individual who wants to be an integral part of a growing public media organization that is an essential source for truth and ideas.
This position reports to the Manager of Underwriting and works closely with members of our content and traffic departments to drive sales on a growing portfolio of broadcast media.
Duties & Responsibilities:
– Incorporate best practices regarding confidentiality into all job duties and communications in accordance with WCNY policies and procedures and other applicable regulations.
– Develop and implement sales plans that meet WCNY strategic and revenue goals.
– Prospect for new business relationships in the Utica/Rome market.
– Close new business accounts.
– Manage accounts, including inventory management and ensuring the protection/utilization of the company’s existing rate structure.
– Analytically project revenues, meet and/or exceed budgets for product lines & achieve annual goals.
– Proactively identify opportunities and effectively communicate promotional and/or underwriting opportunities to the underwriting team and prospective clients.
– Prepare advertising schedules, promotional plans, sales literature, proposals, and sales contracts using either self-designed content, or that provided by team members.
– Offer price quotes to customers and follow up with sales orders
– Form strategic business partnerships by developing and servicing new accounts through prospecting and meeting with businesses and organizations and presenting new/additional products and services to targeted potential clients.
– Identify and monitor sales trends locally, nationally, and recommend action steps.
– Enter contract information accurately to assure schedules air properly, announcements are read correctly, and clients are billed accurately.
– Perform other duties or special projects as assigned.
Education & Experience:
– Minimum of one year experience in sales preferably in the media field.
– Ability to work a flexible and varied schedule.
– Passion for public broadcasting and mission-driven content.
– Valid and reliable transportation
– Respond to emails in a timely fashion
– Valid Driver’s License and reliable vehicle
– Organized, courteous, and professional
– Ability to achieve constructive problem-solving.
– Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
– Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
– Must be able to lift ten pounds occasionally.
Job functions are typically performed under conditions like those found in general office or administrative work. This position is not exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
Commission based sales position.
WCNY is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Job Type: Contract
– Day shift
– Monday to Friday
– Weekend availability
Supplemental Pay: Commission pay
– Sales: 1 year (Preferred)
– Driver’s License (Preferred)
– One location