WCNY provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Our Human Resource department reviews every application. Unfortunately, because of the high volume of applications we receive, we cannot guarantee a response to every one. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Producer/Director in WCNY’s Television Production Department is an energetic and passionate storyteller, communicator and technician with superior organizational and communication skills to plan, research, produce, write and direct television production projects and initiate proposals for new programs. The ideal candidate for the position of Producer/Director has a passion for the public media sector and a desire to be extraordinary at content production in WCNY’s performance and deadline-driven atmosphere. Producer/Director is a full-time, exempt position at WCNY.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, research, produce, and write television production projects; including the development of television series, live events, documentaries, interstitials, promotional videos. This includes development of program rundowns, scripts and supporting content and working with staff, both paid and volunteer, in project development.
- Director/Producer assumes the lead role during the preparation and operation of the WCNY television studios and production control rooms during recorded and live productions.
- Responsible for the creation of high-quality video content for broadcast and online platforms.
- Manages and directs the television crew during the studio production
- Direct studio programs and content using a multi-channel, digital television switcher and associated devices during taped and live studio productions which includes switching video sources, performing live digital effects and transitions, inserting pre-recorded material, graphics and titles into programs, and routing internal and external video and audio sources.
- Ensures all positions are manned and all equipment and facilities are checked out and ready before the recording session or live broadcast begins.
- Assist other staff in real-time production of studio programs, including use of graphics, teleprompter and both remote and pre-recorded content sources.
- Develop studio presentation of programs and events, including use of lighting, audio, camera placement and blocking and set development (both physical and virtual sets,) floor management and storyboarding.
- Videography using studio and field production cameras; including Sony field cameras and Panasonic DSLR cinematic camera formats.
- Editing and content management through Adobe Premier Suite and centralized content network, including project to delivery across broadcast and online platforms.
- Provide customer service to all partners and clients involved in productions, ensuring consistent, accurate and timely communications.
- Accountable for reaching assigned goals while staying within budget and expense guidelines.
- Plan, prepare, and coordinate production campaigns, events and both field and studio productions, including the coordination of pre and post event logistics and onsite event logistics and problem solving.
- Participation in fundraising and other station events as required.
- Perform other duties and/or projects as assigned.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Minimum requirements: a bachelor’s degree in television, electronic media communications or radio, three to five years of broadcasting experience.
- Strong script writing and technical directing skills for both live and pre-recorded productions.
- Skills in negotiating and collaborating with both technical and creative personnel. This includes coordinating with production, education, development, marketing and engineering departments.
- Long- and short-form production experience, including Studio and Electronic Field Production.
- Three to five years of broadcast television videography and editing, including experience with Adobe Suite applications
- Must have strong attention to detail, be a proactive team player, and work quickly, accurately, and independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Work week is Monday through Friday; required to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Ability to work independently and be self-directed, while also able to work collaboratively within a diverse team environment.
- Demonstrates strong interest in career growth and upward mobility.
- Detail oriented with a high level of accuracy.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple projects and meet stated deadlines.
- During pre-production provide the Production Manager and Producers with guidance on crew assignments, camera shots and the most efficient method to accomplish tasks.
- Maintain familiarity with broadcast technical specifications and the range of equipment implemented during productions.
- Attention, follow-through, dependability and good judgment are critical for success in this role.
The candidate must be proficient in the following or an equivalent product:
* Microsoft Windows
* Mac OSX
* Microsoft Office
* Microsoft Excel
* Ross Xpression graphics
* Geeves clip server·
* Ross digital switcher
* Non-linear editing software: Adobe Premiere Pro
* SONY studio cameras, Panasonic field production video cameras, Canon DSLR field production cameras.
Ability to lift and carry equipment up to 50 lbs in production equipment
A valid New York State driver’s license and good driving record is required for all WCNY positions.
Commitment to the mission and goals of public broadcasting.
Strong commitment to excellence in the finished product.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday, November 24, 2014 – 5 PM.
Demo reels and/or work samples are recommended for consideration and must be submitted via URL, either within the application or cover letter.
The Production Assistant (PA) is responsible for studio camera, teleprompter, Xpression graphics, DMX digital lighting, field grip-lighting and camera, editing, audio and remote location production assistance. The (PA) will provide production and content support to other WCNY initiatives including Public Affairs and Educational programming.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate studio camera, teleprompter, character generator, and other control room equipment as assigned.
- Assist staff of producers/directors, and talent in the successful completion of department projects.
- Serve as researcher as assigned.
- Serve as assistant to the producer as assigned.
- Assist station personnel in arranging suitable facilities and support services.
- Participation in station fundraising and public awareness campaigns.
- Other assignments as needed.
Credentials and Experience:
- 2 year associates degree in Electronic Media and/or Television-Radio
- Understanding of news gathering and story creation.
- Understanding of DMX digital lighting, set design and post-production.
- Basic audio/lighting expertise for studio and field production work.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, speak, and listen. The employee frequently is required to use hands, fingers and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
WCNY, Central New York’s own member-supported public broadcasting station, is an exciting, cutting-edge multimedia company leveraging TV, radio, social media and print and was the proud winner of the CenterState CEO 2014 Business of the Year award in the nonprofit category. WCNY reaches 19 counties and nearly 2 million people with content that inspires, educates, and entertains.
The Auction Sales Representative position is a telesales position soliciting items and certificates via phone and email from local, national and international businesses for our annual auction fundraising events. We are seeking energized, motivated, team players with excellent verbal and written communication skills. Qualified candidates should be goal-oriented with some sales experience. The position is part-time, 35 hours per week Monday-Friday, and continues until May 2015.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Make outbound phone calls and send email correspondence to pre-determined list of past donors and prospects
- Follow-up correspondence in a timely manner
- Accountable for reaching assigned inventory goals
- Complete necessary donation paperwork
- Provide professional, courteous customer service
Qualifications & Skills:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- Sales experience preferred
- Computer skills required
- Ability to work independently, while also able to work collaboratively within a team environment
- Highly-motivated to reach or surpass inventory goals
- Ability to organize, prioritize and follow-through on required tasks
You can also mail your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
415 W. Fayette St.
PO Box 2400
Syracuse, NY 13204
Notice to Organizations Assisting Job Seekers:
If your organization distributes information about employment opportunities to job seekers or refers job seekers to employers, and would like to receive job vacancy notices for WCNY, please provide WCNY with the name, mailing address, e-mail address (if applicable), telephone number, fax number, and contact person and identify the category of vacancies for which you would like information specified above to the above address.
WCNY is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.