WCNY, Central New York’s own member-supported public broadcasting station, is an exciting, cutting-edge multimedia company leveraging TV, radio, social media and print and was the proud winner of the CenterState CEO 2014 Business of the Year award in the nonprofit category. WCNY reaches 19 counties and nearly 2 million people with content that inspires, educates, and entertains.
WCNY provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Our Human Resource department reviews every application. Unfortunately, because of the high volume of applications we receive, we cannot guarantee a response to every one. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
WCNY is a dynamic, forward-thinking organization, celebrating over 50 years of creating award-winning content, programs, and services for our community. We are poised for major growth and amazing things to come! WCNY, Central New York’s own member-supported public broadcasting station, is an exciting, cutting-edge multimedia company leveraging TV, radio, web, social media, and print. WCNY reaches 19 counties and nearly 1.8 million people with content that inspires, educates, and entertains.
Do you have the right stuff?
- Are you a selling virtuoso, able to take challenges and overcome them with the right training and an awesome team behind you?
- Do you have the knack for creating amazing partnerships with businesses and organizations?
- Do you thrive in environments that put you to the test and give you room to show your stuff?
If you bring…
- Proven experience in prospecting new clients, generating sales leads, and closing the sale.
- Awesome people skills and a fresh, polished, sophisticated, and playful attitude.
- A “teamwork makes the dream work” mindset.
- Outstanding technical chops in PowerPoint and Excel.
- An organized mindset, so despite your creativity, your inner nerd sweats the details and is pleased by well-crafted proposals and presentations.
- Good humor, hustle, curiosity, and a sense of responsibility.
Then we offer…
- A brand and reputation that opens doors. (In January 2018, PBS was named the most trusted institution in America for the 15th year in a row.)
- The opportunity to sell more than just “spots and dots”; we build long-term partnerships with our clients and bring immense value they can’t get anywhere else.
- A team that has heart, that’s proud to be stretching its wings, that’s highly respected in the organization and community, and one that strives for great over good every day.
- A coach that has the skills to help you excel and be the best team player you can be.
- A culture that sparks and celebrates innovation.
- Leadership that listens to your ideas.
- Unique opportunities beyond just winning deals.
- A studio space that’s beautiful, high tech, ultra-modern but super historic, and a facility that’s Platinum LEED certified (in fact, we’re the only broadcaster in the world that is).
- An infrastructure that helps you win deals.
- Recognition for outstanding work.
- Competitive pay, quality benefits, and decent coffee.
Interested? Get in touch and tell us why. (Please note, applicants without a cover letter will not be considered.)
Senior Broadcast IT Engineer
WCNY, Central New York’s own member-supported public broadcasting station, is an exciting, cutting-edge multimedia company leveraging TV, radio, social media and print. WCNY reaches 19 counties and nearly 1.8 million people with content that inspires, educates, and entertains.
WCNY is seeking a Senior Broadcast IT Engineer for its television, radio, and networked computer systems. Qualified candidates will be responsible for engineering, design, installation, configuration, documentation, troubleshooting and systems maintenance for production, post-production, on-air, media encoding, quality control (QC), disaster recovery, electronic graphics, and all interconnecting data networks including LAN, WAN, Wi-Fi, FM and TV transmitters. This position also requires hands-on technical support of PCs and Macs, telephony, and first-tier help desk support. This is a frontline position to providing top-level technical support and customer service to WCNY staff.
This position is part of the Engineering and Information Systems Department and reports to the CTO.
Candidate must be willing and able to travel to remote sites and facilities in Watertown, Utica, Pompey, and Albany, New York, if needed.
Our standard office hours are Monday to Friday, but with expectation of 24/7 emergency response and possibility of occasional evening or weekend hours during special events.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Evaluate quality of audio, video, transport stream and data network signals using various test and measurement equipment including waveform monitors, transport stream and data stream analyzers.
- Regional travel to perform programming, maintenance or upgrades of broadcast equipment.
- Troubleshoot signal flow through a system and identify faults, to the component level if necessary or possible.
- Install and integrate new equipment and cabling in all technical areas.
- Respond to emergency requests to solve or provide workaround solutions for failed systems.
- Perform service on video routers, switchers, camera, and replay systems.
- Troubleshoot computer and network systems, email and telephony systems, basic server and user administration, print servers, and Group Policy Management.
- Add devices and users to a local area network.
- Provide excellent customer service to colleagues when responding to help desk requests.
- Create and keep up-to-date documentation to track changes and catalog systems.
Skills and Experience
- Work safely with single phase and 3-phase AC power systems up to 480 Volts, and with low voltage, high current DC power and distribution systems.
- Grounding and bonding to reduce noise in electric circuits and to prevent lightning and static damage.
- Ability to install wiring of all types through walls and overhead, not limited to cable trays and passageways, or under raised floors, and to bend and shape conduit when needed.
- Familiarity with Bolt-On breakers and other electrical components, including fused and un-fused disconnects, and distribution equipment including transfer switches, surge suppressors, line voltage regulators and transformers.
- Remote Control Systems as used in broadcast transmitting, including AC and DC Control, analog and digital interfaces and IP connections with back up IVR delivery.
- Audio and video transport via microwave and Fiber Optic Cable within a point-to-point network environment.
- RF systems including FM-HD and analog FM and UHF TV (ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0).
- Satellite distribution systems and TVRO equipment from 1.0 Meter to 5.0 Meters in the C-band and KU-Band frequency range and L-Band conversion. V-Sat system knowledge helpful to handle aligning of satellite receive-only antennas. Terrestrial rejection filter installation and setup also helpful.
- Ability to service Glycol Cooling Systems as used in transmitting equipment. This includes pumps, valves, pressure and flow metering. Handling and disposal of such products and familiarity with state and federal laws regarding same.
- Diesel generator service and experience helpful. Welding and brazing a plus. Temporary and permanent repairs of pressurized cooling systems using copper and lead-tin or silver solder are necessary.
- Analog and digital audio, including integration of both, within a broadcast environment.
- Analog and digital video systems including composite, component, SDI and HD-SDI, HDMI, 4K, Timecode, Reference, and concepts of cross-conversion or up-down conversion.
- Audio automation systems, such as WideOrbit.
- Must possess a solid understanding of network sharing, user credentialing via Active Directory/ADFS/Kerberos, switch topology, LAN and WAN protocols, and IP addressing.
- Experience in mixed environments, running Windows, Mac and Linux workstations and servers.
- Experience with SAN and NAS technologies, including EMC and Synology.
- Ability to work within a multiple VLAN network and with Cat6 Ethernet cabling.
- Understanding of general FCC rules and regulations and the ability to interpret and file necessary paperwork for transmitter monitoring, EAS monitoring and the reports generated from those sources.
- Bachelor’s Degree in broadcast engineering, computer science, or similar field; equivalent experience and certifications in Microsoft, Cisco, EMC, Adobe considered.
- 5+ years’ experience as a hands-on engineer in a broadcast and/or post-production environment.
- 3+ years’ experience with desktop, server and network configuration and support.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team or individually with minimal supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to create clear, precise documentation.
- Proven troubleshooting and analytical skills.
- Strong organizational skills and proficiency in establishing priorities with multiple projects under tight deadlines.
You can also mail your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
415 W. Fayette St.
Syracuse, NY 13204
Notice to Organizations Assisting Job Seekers:
If your organization distributes information about employment opportunities to job seekers or refers job seekers to employers, and would like to receive job vacancy notices for WCNY, please provide WCNY with the name, mailing address, e-mail address (if applicable), telephone number, fax number, and contact person and identify the category of vacancies for which you would like information specified above to the above address.
WCNY is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.