WCNY, Central New York’s own member-supported public broadcasting station, is an exciting, cutting-edge multimedia company leveraging TV, radio, social media and print and was the proud winner of the CenterState CEO 2014 Business of the Year award in the nonprofit category. WCNY reaches 19 counties and nearly 2 million people with content that inspires, educates, and entertains.
WCNY provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Our Human Resource department reviews every application. Unfortunately, because of the high volume of applications we receive, we cannot guarantee a response to every one. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
This year marks our 50th anniversary, and we are looking for the right person to join our sales team. The Media Sales Executive will work with a driven and highly motivated team to support the sales operations of WCNY. You will be responsible for developing and maintaining new business and implementing successful multimedia marketing solutions from a diverse platform of products, including television, radio, web, print, and special events. We don’t sell spots and dots; we look to build true, long term partnerships that bring immense value to our clients and help them reach a hard-to-get consumer who is not typically swayed by traditional advertising. The atmosphere is performance-driven and deadline-driven. New employees are often surprised at how fast the pace is here. We are looking for a go-getter with a “get-it-done” mindset, as this is truly a new business generating role; you will not inherit a list of active accounts.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work independently with little supervision
- Meet important weekly metrics, ie. a high volume of phone calls and client visits
- Conduct proactive consultative needs analysis meetings with prospective clients
- Look for opportunities to develop monetize-able creative solutions, including customizable cross-platform opportunities that meet client needs
- Design, develop, and present sales proposals and presentations
- Develop new revenue quickly and proactively from untapped sources
- Exceed monthly and annual revenue goals
- Generate leads by media monitoring, contacting clients via telephone, face-to-face cold calling, and networking events
- Serve as a marketing consultant by providing prospects with industry trends and data
- Ensure clients receive superior customer service
- Work in conjunction with other business services support groups at WCNY, including marketing, media services, events, and radio and television production personnel
- BA/BS from an accredited four year college/university
- A minimum of two years’ experience in media sales
- Proven experience in prospecting new clients, generating sales leads and closing the sale
- “Teamwork makes the dream work” mentality; while our Media Sales Executives are independently driven to be number one, a cohesive team is crucial to our success
- Well organized
- Agency and client contacts in Central New York and the Mohawk Valley
- Understand brand & marketing objectives
- Strong communication, negotiation & presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal and client relation skills
- Able to multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with decision makers
- CRM sales management software experience with a leading platform, salesforce.com preferable
- Strong computer skills especially in Excel, Power Point, and Word
WCNY seeks a Digital Media Producer who enjoys shooting, editing, telling long-form stories and producing documentaries to join our Emmy award-winning production department. The successful candidate is a self-starter who can organize and develop content. This is an opportunity to apply and grow your skills producing content on a variety of topics including news and public affairs, education, health, technology and innovation and financial literacy.
WCNY acquires HD media on a mix of professional DSLR’s and camcorders. Adobe Premiere is used for editing. Attention to detail and experience with lighting and audio gathering is imperative.
The Digital Media Producer in WCNY’s Production Department is an energetic and passionate storyteller, communicator and technician with superior organizational and communication skills to plan, research, produce, write and initiate proposals for new and compelling programs. The ideal candidate for the position of Digital Media Producer has a passion for the public media sector and a desire to be extraordinary at content production in WCNY’s performance and deadline-driven atmosphere. The Digital Media Producer is a full-time, exempt position at WCNY.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, research, produce, and write television production projects; including the development of television series, live events, documentaries, interstitials, promotional videos. This includes development of program rundowns, scripts and supporting content and working with staff, both paid and volunteer, in project development.
- Develop studio presentation of programs and events, including use of digital lighting, audio, camera placement and blocking and set development (both physical and virtual environments,) studio floor management and storyboarding.
- Videography using studio and field production cameras; including Electronic Field Production (EFP) style camera and DSLR cinematic camera formats.
- Editing and content management with Adobe Creative Suite and a media management solution linked to a centralized content network.
- Project delivery across broadcast and all digital online platforms.
- Provide customer service to all partners and clients involved in productions, ensuring consistent, accurate and timely communications and deliverables.
- Prepare for and assist in coordinating the Membership drives throughout the year across our multimedia platforms (Television, radio, social media and print).
- Participate in strategic planning to increase the WCNY membership base.
- Accountable for reaching assigned goals while staying within budget and expense guidelines.
- Plan, prepare, and coordinate production campaigns, events and both field and studio productions, including the coordination of pre and post event logistics and onsite event logistics and problem solving.
- Participation in other station events as required.
- Perform other duties and/or projects as assigned.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Minimum requirements: a bachelor’s degree in television, electronic media communications or radio, three to five years of broadcasting experience.
- Strong script-writing and technical directing skills for both live and pre-recorded productions.
- Skills in negotiating and collaborating with both technical and creative personnel.
- Long- and short-form production experience, including Studio and Electronic Field Production.
- Three to five years of broadcast television including, but not limited to; digital lighting, editing, including experience with Adobe Creative Suite applications.
- Experience with file-based high definition workflows,motion graphics programs (After Affects, Photoshop) ,as well as PowerPoint and Illustrator.
- Must have strong attention to detail, be a proactive team player, and work quickly, accurately, and independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Work week is Monday through Friday; required to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a diverse team environment.
- Demonstrate strong interest in career growth and upward mobility.
- Detail oriented with a high level of accuracy, dependability and good judgement
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple projects and meet deadlines.
Qualified candidates should submit a letter and resume.
You can also mail your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
415 W. Fayette St.
PO Box 2400
Syracuse, NY 13204
Notice to Organizations Assisting Job Seekers:
If your organization distributes information about employment opportunities to job seekers or refers job seekers to employers, and would like to receive job vacancy notices for WCNY, please provide WCNY with the name, mailing address, e-mail address (if applicable), telephone number, fax number, and contact person and identify the category of vacancies for which you would like information specified above to the above address.
WCNY is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.