WCNY, Central New York’s own member-supported public broadcasting station, is an exciting, cutting-edge multimedia company leveraging TV, radio, social media and print and was the proud winner of the CenterState CEO 2014 Business of the Year award in the nonprofit category. WCNY reaches 19 counties and nearly 2 million people with content that inspires, educates, and entertains.
WCNY provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Our Human Resource department reviews every application. Unfortunately, because of the high volume of applications we receive, we cannot guarantee a response to every one. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Reporting directly to the President and CEO, the Assistant provides executive support in a one-on-one working relationship. The Assistant serves as the primary point of contact for internal and external constituencies on all matters pertaining to the Office of the President. The Assistant also serves as a liaison to the board of directors and senior management teams; organizes and coordinates executive outreach and external relations efforts; and oversees special projects. The Assistant must be creative and enjoy working within a small, entrepreneurial environment that is mission-driven, results-driven and community oriented. The ideal individual will have the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. The Assistant will have the ability to work independently on projects, from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Completes a broad variety of administrative tasks for the President & CEO including: managing an extremely active calendar of appointments; completing expense reports; composing and preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential; arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas; and compiling documents for travel-related meetings.
- Plans, coordinates and ensures the CEO’s schedule is followed and respected.
- Provides “gatekeeper” and “gateway” role, creating win-win situations for direct access to the CEO’s time and office.
- Communicates directly, and on behalf of the President and CEO, with Board members, donors, and others, on matters related to CEO’s programmatic initiatives.
- Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the President, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Determines appropriate course of action, referral, or response.
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the President’s office and internal departments; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with senior management staff.
- Works closely and effectively with the CEO to keep him/her well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately. Acts as a “barometer,” having a sense for the issues taking place in the environment and keeping the President updated.
- Provides leadership to build relationships crucial to the success of the organization, and manages a variety of special projects for the President, some of which may have organizational impact.
- Successfully completes critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting acknowledgement letters, personal correspondence, and other tasks that facilitate the CEO’s ability to effectively lead the company.
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
Board Support and Liaison:
- Serves as the President’s administrative liaison to WCNY’s board of directors
- Assists board members with travel arrangements, lodging, and meal planning as needed
- Maintains discretion and confidentiality in relationships with all board members
- Adhere to compliance with applicable rules and regulations set in bylaws regarding board and board committee matters, including advance distribution of materials before meetings in electronic/paper format.
Senior Management Liaison:
- Participates as an adjunct member of the Executive Team including assisting in scheduling meetings and attending all meetings
- Assists in coordinating the agenda of senior management team meetings and off-sites, and all-staff meetings
- Facilitates cross-departmental coordination of travel and outreach plans
Communications, Partnerships, and Outreach:
- Ensures that the President’s bio is kept updated and responds to requests for materials regarding the President and the organization in general
- Edits and completes first drafts for written communications to external stake holders
- Follows up on contacts made by the President and supports the cultivation of ongoing relationships
- Edits all, and creates acknowledgement letters from the President to donors and partners
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, external partners and donors
- Expert level written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability
- Emotional maturity
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer/client service and response
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Strong work tenure: five to 10 years of experience supporting C-Level Executives, preferably in a non-profit organization
- Experience and interest in internal and external communications, partnership development, and fundraising
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point), Adobe Acrobat, and Social Media web platforms.
Only qualified candidates should apply. Send compelling cover letter with resume.
The Multi-Media Graphic Designer (MMGD) is a senior role reporting to the Vice President of Marketing and Communications. The position requires an exceptionally well-developed design sensibility and the ability to apply that talent to projects in a variety of mediums. The successful candidate will have demonstrated expertise in creative concepting and design direction; be skilled in the use of color, space, and typography and offer a diverse portfolio showing proficiency in both the print and digital realms with broad experience in such fields as promotions, publication design, web design and user interfaces. Solid experience in branding is essential. The MMGD must be comfortable in a collaborative creative environment and be able to take direction as well as take the lead. The ideal candidate will be fluent in Adobe Creative Suite, possess solid design, typography and photo manipulation skills, and be experienced in incorporating video and storytelling as part of a creative strategy. The ability to manage multiple projects and demanding deadlines as a genial colleague is essential. Experience in television a plus.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages WCNY brand presentation across all platforms.
- Creates compelling creative, from concepting through final execution.
- Translates creative across platforms, devleoping visually compelling and effective marketing and promotional materials, creating graphically cohesive multi-platform presentations.
- Serves as art director for projects originating across the organization
- Manages graphical and photo assets for the organinzaton
- Is the designer for WCNY magazine and other print publications.
- Serves as user interface designer for web development team.
- Creates infographics, presentations, on-air graphics, and signage.
- Manages vendor relations with printers and other service providers, ensures production quality.
- Manages annual graphic production workflow and calendar.
- Other assignments as needed.
Credentials, Qualities and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related field and five years of progressively responsible work experience.
- Advanced skills in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign a must. Strong skills in other Adobe software including Dreamweaver, After Effects, Lightroom, Bridge, Acrobat highly desirable.
- Solid skills in Microsoft Office suite including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Works at a fast pace, creating and using templates, style sheets, macros, etc. to achieve highly efficient work flow.
- Collaborates easily, is open to ideas and able to pivot as needs change.
- Aware of contemporary design trends, responsive and contemporary in design style.
- Strong attention to detail, produces work with superb craftsmanship.
- Must be able to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, dynamic, team environment.
- Highly organized, able to manage assets and work within systems.
- Ability to work with HTML and CSS desirable.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit for extended peroids; speak and listen; use hands, fingers and arms; and to stand and walk. The employee must have visual capacity to create graphic designs, take and use photos, and produce work at large and small scales. Will occasionally be required to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and climb stairs and/or ladders.
This year marks our 50th anniversary, and we are looking for the right person to join our sales team. The Media Sales Executive will work with a driven and highly motivated team to support the sales operations of WCNY. You will be responsible for developing and maintaining new business and implementing successful multimedia marketing solutions from a diverse platform of products, including television, radio, web, print, and special events. We don’t sell spots and dots; we look to build true, long term partnerships that bring immense value to our clients and help them reach a hard-to-get consumer who is not typically swayed by traditional advertising. The atmosphere is performance-driven and deadline-driven. New employees are often surprised at how fast the pace is here. We are looking for a go-getter with a “get-it-done” mindset, as this is truly a new business generating role; you will not inherit a list of active accounts.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work independently with little supervision
- Meet important weekly metrics, ie. a high volume of phone calls and client visits
- Conduct proactive consultative needs analysis meetings with prospective clients
- Look for opportunities to develop monetize-able creative solutions, including customizable cross-platform opportunities that meet client needs
- Design, develop, and present sales proposals and presentations
- Develop new revenue quickly and proactively from untapped sources
- Exceed monthly and annual revenue goals
- Generate leads by media monitoring, contacting clients via telephone, face-to-face cold calling, and networking events
- Serve as a marketing consultant by providing prospects with industry trends and data
- Ensure clients receive superior customer service
- Work in conjunction with other business services support groups at WCNY, including marketing, media services, events, and radio and television production personnel
- BA/BS from an accredited four year college/university
- A minimum of two years’ experience in media sales
- Proven experience in prospecting new clients, generating sales leads and closing the sale
- “Teamwork makes the dream work” mentality; while our Media Sales Executives are independently driven to be number one, a cohesive team is crucial to our success
- Well organized
- Agency and client contacts in Central New York and the Mohawk Valley
- Understand brand & marketing objectives
- Strong communication, negotiation & presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal and client relation skills
- Able to multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with decision makers
- CRM sales management software experience with a leading platform, salesforce.com preferable
- Strong computer skills especially in Excel, Power Point, and Word
The IT & Broadcast Support Engineer will be responsible for maintaining the successful day-to-day operation including repair, maintenance, and installation of IT equipment supporting all WCNY television and radio facilities, transmission equipment, LAN and WAN links, and all business IT aspects ranging from servers to end-user IT support. This position will also be called upon to assist with the planning and management of current and future projects and special events in which WCNY systems or technology are required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of all IT-related systems supporting television and radio operations and production, transmission systems, building management, security, access control, core IT, and other systems as needed.
- Oversee day-to-day operation and management in all areas of IT including server and application management including end-user support.
- Participate in the execution of a long-range cross-training program for engineering personnel to enable department members to assist with end-user support.
- Be responsible for assuring the successful and reliable operation of critical, computer-based graphics, editing, storage, and other IT equipment supporting Radio and TV operations.
- Provide input to the Director of Technical Systems in the development of capital and maintenance budgets for the IT facilities to assure continuity of operation and fulfillment of long-term goals.
- Ensure successful execution of training to make staff self-sufficient and productive through the development of training materials and educational sessions. Interact with internal customers to provide and process information in response to inquiries, concerns, and requests about WCNY systems.
- Troubleshooting of all IT and broadcast systems through close cooperation with broadcast and building management staff. Diagnose and resolve technical hardware and software issues involving Internet connectivity, email clients, IPTV, VoIP and more.
- Be available on-call for technical emergencies for all operations (IT, web, TV and Radio Production, facilities, and special events) and to assist the transmitter and broadcast maintenance engineer on emergencies when necessary.
- Provide input to and participate in the development and implementation of a comprehensive IT security and disaster recovery plan.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest technology and trends in the IT field.
Credentials and Experience:
- Minimum 4-year degree in Computer Science or equivalent related experience.
- Highly developed computer skills, and experience in designing, installing and maintaining a windows based computer network system with at least 50 users.
- Experience with commonly used software packages including, but not limited to; Microsoft Office, Microsoft Lync Server 2010/2013, Windows Server 2008R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows 7, and common FTP clients such as FileZilla.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and perform multiple assignments under pressure and within deadline along with significant project management experience.
- Extreme attention to detail with the ability to multi-task, coordinate and complete multiple projects successfully to completion with minimal supervision.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with all levels of WCNY staff.
- Must possess a valid NYS driver’s license and have reliable transportation.
- Strong combination of IT Certifications such as MSCE, CompTIA, CCNE or equivalent working experience.
- Prior experience with television and radio automation system a strong plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, speak, and listen. The employee frequently is required to use hands, fingers and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. The employee must be able to communicate effectively in a variety of medium including orally, electronically, and in writing.
Qualified candidates should submit a letter and resume.
You can also mail your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
415 W. Fayette St.
PO Box 2400
Syracuse, NY 13204
Notice to Organizations Assisting Job Seekers:
If your organization distributes information about employment opportunities to job seekers or refers job seekers to employers, and would like to receive job vacancy notices for WCNY, please provide WCNY with the name, mailing address, e-mail address (if applicable), telephone number, fax number, and contact person and identify the category of vacancies for which you would like information specified above to the above address.
WCNY is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.