WCNY, Central New York’s own member-supported public broadcasting station, is an exciting, cutting-edge multimedia company leveraging TV, radio, social media and print and was the proud winner of the CenterState CEO 2014 Business of the Year award in the nonprofit category. WCNY reaches 19 counties and nearly 2 million people with content that inspires, educates, and entertains.
WCNY provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Our Human Resource department reviews every application. Unfortunately, because of the high volume of applications we receive, we cannot guarantee a response to every one. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
415 Productions is a unit of WCNY, Central New York’s public broadcaster for over 50 years, headquartered in Syracuse. WCNY’s five television channels and three radio stations serve 19 counties. 415 Productions creates content for the WCNY media family, as well as for commercial production clients across a wide swath of the industrial, retail, non-profit, and education sectors. The combined resources of the 415 Productions team and WCNY’s education, outreach, and community involvement make us an ideal video-production and marketing partner for workface education-focused endeavors.
You are a skilled visual artist whose preferred medium is film. Your strengths include a keen eye, a sharp ear, and a love for storytelling. As a master of the craft of video production, you are as adept behind the camera as you are in the editing suite, a well-rounded content creator who is looking for a place to shine. If so, we have a place for you on a team that is ready to rock this community creating the finest, most impactful video this town has ever seen.
You’ve got these basics:
- Both creative and collaborative, you can fly on your own or with a team
- Adept at producing original content from concept to script, through filming and editing, incorporating special effects and artwork
- Great with clients, earning their trust, calming their fears, wowing them with what you do
- Know-how to create broadcast quality content, highly proficient with editing, animation, special effects, and post-production software
- Able to work in the field or studio, skilled at location video and photography
- Organized and efficient, you are undaunted by tight deadlines and can be trusted to get the job done
- Outstanding teammate, open to ideas, great communicator, respectful of all
- Loves the details yet can prioritize time to focus on what is most important.
And your credentials, experience, and skills count too:
- Bachelor’s degree in art, film, television production or related field plus three to five years’ experience in animation and/or production or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Proficient in Adobe After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop, and 3-D modeling software, as well as basic skills in Microsoft Office software
- Strong writing skills
- Knowledgeable about lighting, professional camera systems, production workflows, and other tools and systems of the trade.
If you have the chops, we would love to talk. 415 Productions is a fast growing company, affiliated with the region’s public broadcaster, WCNY. We are on the move and building our talent team. Give us a shout!
WCNY, Central New York’s own member-supported public broadcasting station, is an exciting, cutting-edge multimedia company leveraging TV, radio, social media and print. WCNY reaches 19 counties and nearly 1.8 million people with content that inspires, educates, and entertains.
The Supervising Editor/Producer in WCNY’s Television Production Department is an experienced, energetic and passionate storyteller, communicator and technician with superior editorial, videography and graphic effects skills that can actualize the WCNY programming vision. The ideal candidate for the position of Supervising Editor/Producer has a passion for the public media sector and a desire to be extraordinary at content production in WCNY’s performance and deadline-driven atmosphere. Reporting to the Executive Producer, the candidate in this supervisory role will be depended on to create and execute the technical and creative goals developed for each production.
This Supervising Editor/Producer is a full-time, exempt position at WCNY.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Post-production editing and asset management through Adobe Premier Suite and centralized content network, including project delivery through regional and national broadcast and online platforms.
- Online finish editing on projects slated for national distribution including audio mixing, color correction, motion graphics transitions, titles and music design.
- Multi-camera field videography planning and execution using studio and field production cameras; including Sony video camera and Panasonic DSLR cinematic camera formats.
- Direct studio programs and content using a multi-channel, digital television switcher and associated devices during taped and live studio productions which includes switching video sources, performing live digital effects and transitions, inserting pre-recorded material, graphics and titles into programs, and routing internal and external video and audio sources.
- Train production staff and production assistants on location and in studio in videography, Ross XPression graphics design and production, as well as post-production editing and motion graphics.
- Produce, plan, research, produce, and write television production segments; including the development of program rundowns, shot sheets, interview scripts and supporting content and working with production staff and 415 Productions when requested.
- Develop studio presentation of programs and events in conjunction with the Director of Studio Production and the Executive Producer – including set development, lighting design, audio components, camera placement and blocking for both physical and virtual sets.
- Participation in fundraising and other station events as required.
- Perform other duties and/or projects as assigned.
Qualifications & Skills
- Minimum requirements: a Bachelor’s degree in television, electronic media communications or radio and three to five years of combined editing, producing and videography experience
- Strong XPression graphics, motion graphics and technical directing skills for both live and pre-recorded productions. Experience with Edit Share content management and organization a plus. Ability to learn and grasp new and advanced software and camera technology a plus
- Skills in training and collaborating with both technical and creative personnel.
- Long- and short-form production experience, including Studio and Electronic Field Production. Ability to develop original story ideas, a strong understanding of story structure, interview techniques and professional level content development.
- Must have strong attention to detail, be a proactive team player, and work quickly, accurately, and independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Work week is Monday through Friday; required to work occasional evenings and weekends on a project by project basis
- Ability to work independently and be self-directed, while also able to work collaboratively within a diverse team environment.
- Demonstrates strong interest in career growth and upward mobility.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple projects and meet stated deadlines.
- Maintain familiarity with broadcast technical specifications and the range of equipment implemented during productions.
- Attention, follow-through, dependability and good judgment are critical for success in this role.
The candidate must be proficient in the following or an equivalent product:
- Microsoft Windows
- Mac OSX
- Microsoft Office
- Ross XPression graphics
- Geevs clip server
- Ross digital switcher
- Non-linear editing software: Adobe Premiere Pro
- SONY studio cameras, Panasonic field production video cameras, Canon DSLR field production cameras.
- Ability to lift and carry equipment up to 50 pounds in production equipment.
- A valid New York State driver’s license and good driving record is required for all WCNY positions.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of public broadcasting. Strong commitment to excellence in the finished product.
- Demo reels and/or work samples are recommended for consideration and must be submitted via URL, either within the application or cover letter.
- Broadcasting Experience: 5 years
Media Sales Executive
Media Sales Executive
WCNY is a dynamic, forward-thinking organization, celebrating 50 years of creating award-winning content, programs and services for our community – and we are poised for major growth and amazing things to come. WCNY, Central New York’s own member-supported public broadcasting station, is an exciting, cutting-edge multimedia company leveraging TV, radio, web, social media and print. WCNY reaches 19 counties and nearly 1.8 million people with content that inspires, educates, and entertains.
Do you have the right stuff?
- Are you a selling virtuoso, able to take lots of objections and overcome them with the right training and an awesome team behind you?
- Do you have the knack for turning around problem projects and creating amazing partnerships with businesses and organizations?
- Do you thrive in environments that put you to the test and give you room to show your stuff?
If you bring…
- Proven experience in prospecting new clients, generating sales leads, and closing the sale
- Awesome people skills and a fresh, polished, sophisticated, and playful attitude
- A “teamwork makes the dream work” mindset
- Outstanding technical chops in PowerPoint and Excel
- An organized mindset, so despite your creativity, your inner nerd sweats the details and is pleased by well-crafted proposals and presentations
- Good humor, curiosity, and a sense of responsibility
Then we offer…
- A brand and reputation that open doors (In January 2016, PBS was named the most trusted institution in America for the 13th year in a row.)
- The opportunity to sell more than just “spots and dots”; we build long-term partnerships that bring immense value to our clients they can’t get anywhere else.
- A team that has heart, that’s proud to be stretching its wings, that’s highly respected in the organization, and that’s making change and is hungry for more.
- A coach that has the skills to help you hone yours.
- A culture that sparks and celebrates innovation.
- Leadership that listens to your ideas.
- Unique challenges and opportunities beyond just winning deals.
- A studio space that’s beautiful, high tech, ultra-modern but super historic, and Platinum LEED certified (in fact, we’re the only broadcaster in the world that is.)
- An infrastructure that helps you win deals, not shackles you.
- Recognition for outstanding work.
- Competitive pay, quality benefits, and decent coffee.
Interested? Get in touch and tell us why. (Please note, applicants without a cover letter will not be considered.)
Director, Engineering & Information Systems
Director, Engineering & Information Systems
WCNY seeks an energetic and detail-oriented individual to manage the successful operation of WCNY’s technical and building facilities and to oversee and provide support on the various needs of other departments. The Director of Engineering & Information Systems leads the team responsible for the uninterrupted operation of all television, radio, IT, and building management systems. A successful candidate must be a good multi-tasker with prior experience in television and/or radio broadcast as well as a working knowledge of IT systems and technologies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for managing and participating in the successful, sustained operation of all technology; including software systems, television and radio production systems, radio and television transmitters, building and facilities, and all IT and network systems.
- Perform and/or supervise general and preventative maintenance on all broadcast, IT, and building facilities equipment.
- Responsible for the creation and management of capital and operational budgets.
- Provide strategic planning and guidance towards organization goals; developing long-range plans for systems upgrades and implementation of new technologies.
- Maintain the execution of a comprehensive cross-training program for all Engineering & IT personnel.
- Be available on-call for technical emergencies for technical operations (IT, radio, production, and facilities) and act as back-up for the transmitter maintenance engineer on emergencies when necessary.
- Provide guidance and support with the development and implementation of all current and future projects, special, facilities rentals, and other new business initiatives.
- Stay current on state-of-the-art developments in IT, production, and broadcast technical areas and make recommendations to senior leadership when necessary.
- Supervises broadcast, facilities, and IT engineers.
Credentials and Experience
- At least 5 years of experience working in the television and radio technology field.
- Minimum of Associates Degree in Electronics Technology, Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
- Must have extensive broadcast operations experience in television and radio operations.
- Working knowledge of television and radio digital studio broadcast and production systems including: video server technology, digital HD and SD signal routing and switching, digital SD and HD encoding technologies and techniques, television and radio automation and traffic systems and the interface of these systems, audio encoding, routing and storage, television and radio editing systems, large disk-based video and audio storage systems and integration of the broadcast and production environment into an IT system.
- Thorough knowledge and experience with television and radio transmission, microwave, and remote control systems.
- Knowledge of FCC license and reporting requirements.
- Thorough knowledge of the operation of state-of-the-art radio and television studios and associated systems.
- Highly developed computer skills; experience with designing, installing and maintaining a windows based computer network system with at least 50 users is a plus.
- Effective understanding of Microsoft Office and Server 2008R2 and 2012R2 operating systems.
- Effective supervisory skills. Must work in collaborative manner, and foster a team spirit.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and perform multiple assignments under pressure and within deadline.
- Be able to work effective in a growing company, in a dynamic environment while ensuring that cross-departmental demands needs are fulfilled and expectations met.
- Great communication skills with a strong desire to provide outstanding customer service and interact effectively with all levels of WCNY staff.
- Must possess a valid NYS driver’s license and have reliable transportation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, speak, and listen. The employee frequently is required to use hands, fingers and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
You can also mail your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
415 W. Fayette St.
Syracuse, NY 13204
Notice to Organizations Assisting Job Seekers:
If your organization distributes information about employment opportunities to job seekers or refers job seekers to employers, and would like to receive job vacancy notices for WCNY, please provide WCNY with the name, mailing address, e-mail address (if applicable), telephone number, fax number, and contact person and identify the category of vacancies for which you would like information specified above to the above address.
WCNY is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.