WCNY provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Our Human Resource department reviews every application. Unfortunately, because of the high volume of applications we receive, we cannot guarantee a response to every one. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Part-time (30 hours per week)
WCNY, Central New York’s public broadcasting company, seeks a motivated and experienced part-time Associate Producer. The Associate Producer is responsible for assisting in the production of various studio and remote projects as assigned by the Director of TV Production and/or the VP of Broadcasting. Will also be responsible for assisting in gathering, writing and editing content for multiple platforms.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, research and write assigned production projects and programs.
- Arrange, in concert with appropriate station personnel, suitable facilities and support services toward the effective completion of each project.
- Write, edit, and shoot on various media platforms where assigned by the Director of TV Production and/or VP, Broadcasting.
- Serve as a writer, editor, videographer, and/or talent where assigned on a project by the Director of TV Production.
- Participate in WCNY-TV programs, fundraisers, and station awareness projects as requested.
- Work closely with Director/Producer and Director of TV Production to determine content needs.
- Assist in the development of content for multiple platforms.
- Knowledge and demonstration of creativity, editorial judgment and journalistic ethics.
- Pre-interview guests, book shows and research developing show topics.
- Post content to station’s websites.
- Other assignments as needed.
Credentials and Experience:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including grammar, storytelling abilities and news judgment.
- Understanding of lighting, set design and post-production.
- Program production and non-linear based editing skills.
- Detail oriented and ability to handle various tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively under deadlines.
- 1-2 years of broadcasting experience.
- College degree in Electronic Media Communications/Television/Radio.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, speak, and listen. The employee frequently is required to use hands, fingers and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
WCNY, Central New York’s radio home for Classical Music, seeks a dynamic, experienced leader for its radio stations. Our next Program Director will be passionate about promoting the arts and be a collaboration leader with the many music and arts institutions of the region.
The Program Director will be responsible for:
- ensuring the delivery of local and network programming across WCNY’s four radio platforms: Classical, Oldies, Jazz and Readout Radio, an HD radio service for the visually impaired.
- supervise on-air production, including short-form programming, promotions and live-read copy
- ensuring WCNY is complying with FCC and CPB regulations
- managing department operations
- understanding and directing all broadcast, production and trafficking systems.
- bachelor’s degree, five years’ experience in radio programming
- ability to deliver high-quality work under deadline and pressurean understanding and appreciation of classical music is desired
- an understanding and appreciation of classical music is desired
WCNY is seeking candidates for the position of Web Developer. The Web Developer will have overall responsibility for working on a variety of projects primarily involved in web site design and development, including creation of custom graphics. The Web Developer will be responsible for designing the user interface and overall customer experience for our web site and application. This includes overall navigation flow, layout of specific pages, and creation of individual graphic elements.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with functional leaders to determine goals for each web and/or multi-media application and transform established concepts into specific applications.
- Execute the creative design, implementation, and technical coding.
- Responsible for design maintenance of all Web site and other electronic publications and applications.
- Ensures that all design elements, templates and finished solutions work within a variety of browser types and screen settings along with the constraints set by development and design.
- Works with Marketing and Development staff in style and approach for all projects.
- Research, accumulate, and organize information to be included in the website and/or multi-media application.
- Gather, summarize, and report web use statistics.
- Provide training, guidance, and consultation to other staff and clients including project partners and others involved on a project or instructional basis.
- Participates in efforts to improve quality of Web site and other electronic publications as required.
- Provide guidance and leadership to the organization in all areas of web technology but especially in emerging topics such as responsive design, accessibility, and security.
- Develop special-purpose web applications to address organizational goals and initiatives.
- Develop support workflows and processes for all web-based technologies in use in the organization and manage in site maintenance activities.
- Develop special-purpose web applications to address departmental and organizational goals and initiatives.
- Use the principles of project and time management to guide the web efforts for the organization’s departments and assure that web content remains current and timely.
Credentials and Experience:
- Knowledge of Photoshop, Flash MX/+ Actionscript/2+ preferred. Experience using graphics.
- Knowledge of HTML Web technologies and applications.
- BS in Computer Technology, IT or related area, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to coordinate with internal and external groups.
- Experience with audio/video demonstration technologies is highly desirable.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Must be able to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, dynamic, team environment
You can also mail your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
Vice President of Human Resources
415 W. Fayette St.
PO Box 2400
Syracuse, NY 13204
Notice to Organizations Assisting Job Seekers:
If your organization distributes information about employment opportunities to job seekers or refers job seekers to employers, and would like to receive job vacancy notices for WCNY, please provide WCNY with the name, mailing address, e-mail address (if applicable), telephone number, fax number, and contact person and identify the category of vacancies for which you would like information specified above to the above address.
WCNY is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.