WCNY, Central New York’s own member-supported public broadcasting station, is an exciting, cutting-edge multimedia company leveraging TV, radio, social media and print and was the proud winner of the CenterState CEO 2014 Business of the Year award in the nonprofit category. WCNY reaches 19 counties and nearly 2 million people with content that inspires, educates, and entertains.
WCNY provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Our Human Resource department reviews every application. Unfortunately, because of the high volume of applications we receive, we cannot guarantee a response to every one. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Director, Engineering & Information Systems
Director, Engineering & Information Systems
WCNY seeks an energetic and detail-oriented individual to manage the successful operation of WCNY’s technical and building facilities and to oversee and provide support on the various needs of other departments. The Director of Engineering & Information Systems leads the team responsible for the uninterrupted operation of all television, radio, IT, and building management systems. A successful candidate must be a good multi-tasker with prior experience in television and/or radio broadcast as well as a working knowledge of IT systems and technologies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for managing and participating in the successful, sustained operation of all technology; including software systems, television and radio production systems, radio and television transmitters, building and facilities, and all IT and network systems.
- Perform and/or supervise general and preventative maintenance on all broadcast, IT, and building facilities equipment.
- Responsible for the creation and management of capital and operational budgets.
- Provide strategic planning and guidance towards organization goals; developing long-range plans for systems upgrades and implementation of new technologies.
- Maintain the execution of a comprehensive cross-training program for all Engineering & IT personnel.
- Be available on-call for technical emergencies for technical operations (IT, radio, production, and facilities) and act as back-up for the transmitter maintenance engineer on emergencies when necessary.
- Provide guidance and support with the development and implementation of all current and future projects, special, facilities rentals, and other new business initiatives.
- Stay current on state-of-the-art developments in IT, production, and broadcast technical areas and make recommendations to senior leadership when necessary.
- Supervises broadcast, facilities, and IT engineers.
Credentials and Experience
- At least 5 years of experience working in the television and radio technology field.
- Minimum of Associates Degree in Electronics Technology, Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
- Must have extensive broadcast operations experience in television and radio operations.
- Working knowledge of television and radio digital studio broadcast and production systems including: video server technology, digital HD and SD signal routing and switching, digital SD and HD encoding technologies and techniques, television and radio automation and traffic systems and the interface of these systems, audio encoding, routing and storage, television and radio editing systems, large disk-based video and audio storage systems and integration of the broadcast and production environment into an IT system.
- Thorough knowledge and experience with television and radio transmission, microwave, and remote control systems.
- Knowledge of FCC license and reporting requirements.
- Thorough knowledge of the operation of state-of-the-art radio and television studios and associated systems.
- Highly developed computer skills; experience with designing, installing and maintaining a windows based computer network system with at least 50 users is a plus.
- Effective understanding of Microsoft Office and Server 2008R2 and 2012R2 operating systems.
- Effective supervisory skills. Must work in collaborative manner, and foster a team spirit.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and perform multiple assignments under pressure and within deadline.
- Be able to work effective in a growing company, in a dynamic environment while ensuring that cross-departmental demands needs are fulfilled and expectations met.
- Great communication skills with a strong desire to provide outstanding customer service and interact effectively with all levels of WCNY staff.
- Must possess a valid NYS driver’s license and have reliable transportation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, speak, and listen. The employee frequently is required to use hands, fingers and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
Director of 415 Productions
Director of 415 Productions
The Director of 415 Productions is responsible for promoting and managing WCNY’s revenue-generating client services unit, 415 Productions. The Director leads the business aspects of the unit to achieve revenue goals and builds the reputation of the business by executing projects at the highest level of professionalism. In this role, the Director will lead sales, operations, content development, client relations, station relations, and vendor partnerships.
The Director is an integral member of WCNY’s creative team, contributing to internal projects on both a conceptual and executional level, and utilizing the skills and resources of other WCNY departments to promote and grow the business. 415 Productions is closely allied with the company’s underwriting and grant development units, serving their needs and collaborating with them on strategies to leverage relationships for increased opportunity. 415 Productions is also responsible for providing ancillary services for national productions including station relations, product development, and delivery. In all these functions, the Director is responsible for effective, responsive leadership.
Working with staff, the Director is responsible for development, writing, direction, production, filming, editing, and post-production of innovative and creative media content that meets client objectives. Working with vendor partners, the Director is responsible for creating multi-platform content for events, conferences, and other public performances.
The Director is responsible for fostering a thriving, creative, high-performance work environment that attracts, retains, and motivates top-quality personnel to produce impactful, high production-value content. Excellent interpersonal skills, storytelling insight, a well-developed and flexible aesthetic, high technical proficiency, a team-oriented work style, and a genuine desire to be a strong contributor within a larger creative enterprise are a must.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervision of 415 Productions staff including scheduling, recruitment, development, and performance reviews.
- Management of the unit’s budget and astute business decision making to achieve annual revenue generation goals.
- Promotion and sales of 415 Production’s services.
- Development of strong client relationships and business partnerships.
- Ability to guide and support clients, to constructively receive, distill and execute on client input.
- Timely delivery of superlative products to internal and external customers.
Skills and Qualifications
- A broad aesthetic and ability to discern the most effective creative style among a diverse array of options, and to effectively execute the creative vision within limits of budget and resources.
- Excellent technical skills and a command of all aspects of post-production including, editing, CGI/VFX, color grading, compositing, green screen, retouching, format conversion, encoding, sound production, sound recording, sound sweetening, sound design, compression, mastering, and media management.
- Demonstrated video camera operation experience with a proficiency and comfort shooting indoor and outdoor environments.
- Expert knowledge of Adobe After Effects, Photoshop, and Illustrator; and Cinema 4D.
- Experience with HD and RAW footage pipeline and digital formats including RED and Canon DSLR, XDCAM.
- Experience in design, motion graphics and 3D animation an asset.
- Strong project management skills.
- Possesses an inspiring work ethic with the ability to motivate teams to a high level of quality and performance.
- Strong collaborative skills and the ability to develop trust and respect among people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Excellent presentation, oral, and written communication skills.
- Flexible and able to work with tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment under pressure while maintaining enthusiasm and a positive outlook.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized.
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, speak, and listen. The employee frequently is required to use hands, fingers, and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
You can also mail your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
415 W. Fayette St.
Syracuse, NY 13204
Notice to Organizations Assisting Job Seekers:
If your organization distributes information about employment opportunities to job seekers or refers job seekers to employers, and would like to receive job vacancy notices for WCNY, please provide WCNY with the name, mailing address, e-mail address (if applicable), telephone number, fax number, and contact person and identify the category of vacancies for which you would like information specified above to the above address.
WCNY is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.