WCNY, Central New York’s own member-supported public broadcasting station, is an exciting, cutting-edge multimedia company leveraging TV, radio, social media and print and was the proud winner of the CenterState CEO 2014 Business of the Year award in the nonprofit category. WCNY reaches 19 counties and nearly 2 million people with content that inspires, educates, and entertains.
WCNY provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Our Human Resource department reviews every application. Unfortunately, because of the high volume of applications we receive, we cannot guarantee a response to every one. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
You can also mail your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
415 W. Fayette St.
Syracuse, NY 13204
Notice to Organizations Assisting Job Seekers:
If your organization distributes information about employment opportunities to job seekers or refers job seekers to employers, and would like to receive job vacancy notices for WCNY, please provide WCNY with the name, mailing address, e-mail address (if applicable), telephone number, fax number, and contact person and identify the category of vacancies for which you would like information specified above to the above address.
WCNY is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
WCNY, Central New York’s public broadcasting station, is an Award-winning, cutting-edge multimedia company. WCNY’s reach spans 19 counties and over 1.8 million viewers with content that inspires, educates, and entertains.
This is a 3-month intern position with a possibility of an extension.
The Technical intern will have hands on experience with computer & technology related equipment and provide equipment, computer, hardware, software and technical support. This person will work directly under the supervision of a member of the technical staff & help in maintaining the successful day-to-day operation including repair, maintenance, and installation of technical systems and equipment supporting all WCNY television, radio and streaming facilities, transmission equipment, and all business IT, facilities systems and connectivity/data, streaming and virtual events aspects ranging from servers to end-user IT support.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The projects will be defined based on need but broadly speaking here are some potential projects:
- Cabling & Documentation within our data center, radio & tv station & studios.
- Diagram, design new patching schema, make custom-fit patch cables for, then re-patch network patch bay and patch panel in data center & mechanical room patch bay and switches.
- Installing broadcast equipment in radio & TV studios.
- IT troubleshooting (Hardware & Software), documentation, wiring, connectivity & telephony
- Help with organizing & updating transmission stations
- Participate in technology committee
- Help with events within the station especially from a technical & facilities set-up
- Setting up, updating, troubleshooting laptops, computers & other equipment including helpdesk issues.
- Testing & repairing new & used equipment
- Help with new technology, innovations or making improvements to current set-up
- Will also be assigned other tasks, as needed
- Must be interested & capable of hands-on work of hardware installation, troubleshooting, testing, fixing electronics & computer equipment
- Must have knowledge of cabling & wiring
- Should possess ability and desire to troubleshoot and resolve hardware and software problems
- Ability to work on software projects
- Must be proficient with computers (hardware, software, apps, mobile etc.)
- Must be confident in knowledge of Windows and/or Mac/OS and common problems
- Broadcast, IT & Digital knowledge & experience preferred
- Must be a self-motivated problem solver, and have a desire to learn new technologies quickly
- Must be capable of creating documentation
- Applicants should have the ability to research and understand technical documentation, and an understanding of how to apply various technical resources
- Ability to prioritize tasks and efficiently manage time
- Ability to exercise good judgment and effectiveness in working with a high performing team
- Ability to take initiative and drive, organize, own and execute projects
- Ability to be organized with strong documentation skills
- Extreme attention to detail with the ability to multi-task, coordinate and complete multiple projects successfully to completion with minimal supervision.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with all levels of WCNY staff.
- Must possess a valid NYS driver’s license and have reliable transportation.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, speak, and listen. The employee frequently is required to use hands, fingers and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. The employee must be able to communicate effectively in a variety of medium including orally, electronically, and in writing.
Qualified candidates should apply and send resume.
Vice President, Human Resources
The Vice President, Human Resources works with the WCNY staff and leadership to develop and deliver best practices in workplace culture, employee growth, recruiting and retention, and to facilitate the implementation of process improvements. As a member of the senior leadership team, the VP reports directly to the President and CEO and guides policies for employee benefits, annual performance reviews, onboarding, exit interviews, job postings, work-life balance protocols, job location flexibility, and compensation analysis. He or she coordinates internal communication and events, and oversees special projects related to lifting staff morale and fostering a collaborative, participative work environment. Candidate must be creative and enjoy working in an environment that is mission-driven, results-oriented, entrepreneurial, and community focused. The role requires working closely with colleagues on membership, education, production, underwriting and corporate sponsorship initiatives. The ideal individual will have the ability to embrace a culture that encourages people to take risks and think big while exhibiting sound judgment and common sense. The candidate must have strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. Candidate should be able to work independently on projects, from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure, and to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Foster an environment across WCNY that creates the opportunity to perform and contribute while providing the chance for professional development and career growth.
- Define, design, develop and customize the processes, systems and solutions to best resolve HR challenges and align with business
- Influence business activities across the organization pertaining to analysis, design, and delivery of initiatives to enhance performance and impact WCNY’s departmental objectives including internal and external education and professional development activities.
- Manage the organization’s commitment to inclusion and diversity regarding hiring and retention so the workplace, initiatives and programming reflect the communities we serve.
- Work with employees and leadership to integrate compensation and incentives to motivate effective performance.
- Act as a trusted source of counsel on requests for HR support to meet organizational goals.
- Complete a range of human resources responsibilities, working closely with the CEO and senior leadership team on personnel policies, performance reviews, benefits coordination, compensation analysis, onboarding of employees – including managing, assigning and distributing workspace, parking and access badges — interns and contractors, and conducting exit interviews.
- Works as liaison between employees and senior management team, communicating issues and opportunities to keep morale strong.
- Process information related to insurance benefit enrollment and payroll processing related to new hires, interns and contractors.
- Coordinate recruiting, job-postings, training and professional development efforts.
- Manage and prepare internal communications, including monthly employee newsletter.
- Serve as a point of contact for a Board of Trustees committee on HR and compensation, providing analysis, insight and other materials to facilitate the work of this group.
- Oversee annual calendar to manage human resources-related materials and compliance reports.
- Prepare and post annual reports to maintain compliance with public broadcasting requirements.
Other Tasks, as needed
- Collaborate with colleagues and partners on a broad variety of assignments, including assisting with internal and external communication, education and professional development efforts, overall planning, workflow process improvements and community outreach.
- Compose and prepare correspondence that is sometimes confidential.
- Communicate directly with partners and clients on matters related to key initiatives.
- Organizational skill to perform and prioritize multiple tasks with excellent attention to detail.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and integrity.
- Ability to listen, communicate, build relationships and engender trust with colleagues, including interns, employees, leadership, partners, donors and board members.
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, and demonstrate the highest level of customer/client service and response.
- Ability to achieve goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Degree in Human Resources or related field required; MA in Human Resources Management, Labor Relations or similar field preferred. SPHR a plus.
- Five years of experience in HR management.
- Conversant with employment law and current federal and state labor policies.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, HR software platforms, and digital content management.
- Able to contribute positively as part of a team, helping with various tasks as needed.
Only qualified candidates should apply. Send compelling cover letter with resume.