WCNY, Central New York’s own member-supported public broadcasting station, is an exciting, cutting-edge multimedia company leveraging TV, radio, social media and print and was the proud winner of the CenterState CEO 2014 Business of the Year award in the nonprofit category. WCNY reaches 19 counties and nearly 2 million people with content that inspires, educates, and entertains.
WCNY provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Our Human Resource department reviews every application. Unfortunately, because of the high volume of applications we receive, we cannot guarantee a response to every one. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
You can also mail your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
415 W. Fayette St.
Syracuse, NY 13204
Notice to Organizations Assisting Job Seekers:
If your organization distributes information about employment opportunities to job seekers or refers job seekers to employers, and would like to receive job vacancy notices for WCNY, please provide WCNY with the name, mailing address, e-mail address (if applicable), telephone number, fax number, and contact person and identify the category of vacancies for which you would like information specified above to the above address.
WCNY is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
WCNY, Central New York’s own member-supported public broadcasting station, is an exciting, cutting-edge multimedia company leveraging TV, radio, social media and print. WCNY reaches 19 counties and nearly 1.8 million people with content that inspires, educates, and entertains.
WCNY is looking for a Receptionist to be responsible for greeting clients and visitors to our station in a positive, helpful manner. This position will oversee lobby activities, contact employees regarding visitors, answer phones, transfer calls, take messages, check voice mail, and manage the gated parking lot.
Our Receptionist position is a liaison with our viewing, listening, and supporting community throughout Central New York and beyond. Strong knowledge of WCNY and strong customer service skills are crucial to this position. Our Receptionist reports to the Executive Assistant to the President and CEO and works closely with the entire organization to help with a variety of station inquiries.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Greet visitors coming into the station with a positive, helpful attitude.
- Answer, route, and screen phone calls in a professional manner.
- Serve as first point of customer service for all incoming calls. Answer basic questions and provide information to callers.
- Send daily email to all staff requesting notification of any expected visitors.
- Announce visitors as necessary.
- Help to maintain workplace security by issuing, checking, and collecting badges as necessary and maintaining visitor, intern, and volunteer sign-in logs.
- Assist with a variety of administrative tasks including copying and faxing; and assisting the Executive Assistant with various assigned tasks.
- Provide support to various departments with projects (i.e., mailings, copying, scanning).
- Monthly mailing service support for Soundwaves.
- Keep lobby in neat and tidy order daily.
- Sign for packages upon delivery. Inform appropriate personnel on the arrival of packages.
- Obtain any overnight voice mail messages and forward message to appropriate employee.
- High School Diploma and 5+ years of related receptionist/office experience.
- High level of professionalism, diplomacy, and discretion.
- Polite and pleasant telephone voice with exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must possess computer proficiency by demonstrating effective use of Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Good time management and organizational skills and the ability to work independently.
- Ability to multi-task and manage a multi-line phone system, greeting visitors, and manage a gated parking lot.
- Able to contribute positively as part of a team, helping with various tasks as required.
This position is often the first point of contact with WCNY and therefore this position’s performance has short and long-range implications in WCNY’s ability to build and maintain strong relationships with our community.
This position is a full-time, hourly position in which employee enjoys coming to work and feels a sense of accomplishment. The Receptionist position is an ongoing improvement position wherein training classes are encouraged and can be attended with prior approval of supervisor.
WCNY is an equal opportunity employer.
WCNY connects with the curious of all ages through innovation, creative content, educational programs, and transformative experiences to open minds and spark change. A trusted media enterprise, WCNY is constantly evolving and fully engaged with a diverse audience that shares our passion for public service. Together, we will contribute to community prosperity and embrace innovation to foster a well- informed, inspired world. We value passion to make a difference in the lives of those we serve every day, courage to embrace risks worth taking and overcome challenges, respect of one another’s diversity, opinions, and beliefs, service to the public through responsiveness to community values and needs, innovation in thoughts and actions that create new opportunities and valuable solutions., commitment to continuous reflection and improvement, and creativity in advancing impactful content and fostering shared resources for the public good.
An Account Executive connects clients, underwriters and supporters with members and the community through WCNY’s content and experiences. An Account Executive drives the organization’s primary source of income, including television, radio, print, and digital underwriting and event and facilities sponsorship.
- Meet and exceed budgeted sales revenue while maintaining highest level of professionalism and customer service.
- Cultivate new accounts and relationships for continued growth, researching accounts and developing proposals that add value.
- Nurture a collaborative environment, working with entire marketing and production team, to maximize client benefit.
- Understand business trends, community developments, marketplace needs, and customer expectations.
- Manager client relationship once sale is closed by communicating with team to ensure implementation and delivery of product.
- Negotiate and create contracts to ensure maximum company benefit.
- Network to establish and maintain contacts that lead to sales.
- Identify and implement best practices that support company goals and client relationships.
- Support resolution of customer issues that may arise by identifying solutions.
- Budgeting, time and project management
- Interpersonal, written, verbal, and presentation communication skills
- Focus on delivering results and team success
- This is a full-time position. Typically, Monday through Friday work hours, with occasional requirements after hours or on weekends as needed for events.
- Travel – Approximately 75% local travel.
Required Education and Experience
- 4-year Bachelor’s Degree
- 2 years Sales Experience, Minimum
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Proficient in Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel and Microsoft Suite of products.
Please attach a cover letter with your resume.
WCNY is an equal opportunity employer.
WCNY seeks a dynamic, self-motivated and customer service focused individual to be responsible for the ongoing, assessment, installation and maintenance for the uninterrupted operation of all its media distribution platforms including but not limited to computer and network operations, broadcast and production systems of its TV & Radio stations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintain and operate the electronics, and broadcasting equipment that keeps the stations on the air. Establishes maintenance procedures and periodic checks to ensure high quality performance of all (TV & Radio) broadcast & transmission equipment at studio & transmission towers located in Syracuse, Sentinel Heights, Utica, Pompey & Watertown.
- Troubleshoot to the board, module or component level as required
- Work safely with single phase and 3 phase AC power systems up to 480 Volts and with low voltage high current DC power and distribution systems.
- Install wiring of all types through walls and overhead, cable trays, passageways or under raised floors; to bend and shape conduits (thinwall) and to work with PVC or Rigid conduits when necessary.
- Work with Bolt-On breakers and other electrical components, including fused and un-fused disconnects, and distribution equipment including transfer switches, surge suppressors, line voltage regulators and transformers
- Ensure station is in compliance with federal and local regulations.
- Provide ongoing assessment installation and maintenance of all radio and television broadcast equipment to include RF, IT, analog, digital, production, and editing
- Purchase, manage and maintain inventory of spare parts and supplies.
- Troubleshoot unexpected situations confidently, calmly and effectively.
- Write and update documentation for all systems, workflows, etc.
- Communicates with other members to effectively resolve equipment and system issues.
Qualifications, Requirements and Skills:
- Minimum 5 years working experience in a broadcast environment.
- This would include analog and digital audio and video systems, and familiarity with the associated server and transport systems.
- AAS Degree in electronics technology or equivalent experience. Ability to troubleshoot analog and digital circuitry to the component level preferred, but board level acceptable.
- Post graduate SBE Certification or equivalent experience necessary.
- Panasonic Cameras, Ross Switchers, SSL Audio (MADI based) and Ross CG in studio.
- A working knowledge of Grounding and Bonding to reduce noise in electric circuits and to prevent lightning and static damage.
- GatesAir and PRE Audio for FM. Evertz and GatesAir STL Transport for TV and FM.
- Ability to work with single and 3 phase AC power circuits up to 480 volts. DC power circuits in a wide range of voltages and currents.
- Provide support for Solid State FM and UHF TV transmitters, including those 60 miles from Syracuse.
- Experience with liquid cooling systems, including pumps, heat exchangers, and temperature and flow control essential.
- TVRO Satellite systems experience also desirable.
- Experience with HVAC systems helpful, but not required.
- Diesel based Emergency Power familiarity also helpful.
- Clear and concise communication with manufacturer’s technical support, vendors, State and Federal agencies and other engineers as well as co-workers a must, including telephone and e-mail support for viewers and listeners.
- Knowledge of FCC Rules and Filings and keeping of logs