WCNY, Central New York’s own member-supported public broadcasting station, is an exciting, cutting-edge multimedia company leveraging TV, radio, social media and print and was the proud winner of the CenterState CEO 2014 Business of the Year award in the nonprofit category. WCNY reaches 19 counties and nearly 2 million people with content that inspires, educates, and entertains.
WCNY provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Our Human Resource department reviews every application. Unfortunately, because of the high volume of applications we receive, we cannot guarantee a response to every one. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
You can also mail your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
415 W. Fayette St.
Syracuse, NY 13204
Notice to Organizations Assisting Job Seekers:
If your organization distributes information about employment opportunities to job seekers or refers job seekers to employers, and would like to receive job vacancy notices for WCNY, please provide WCNY with the name, mailing address, e-mail address (if applicable), telephone number, fax number, and contact person and identify the category of vacancies for which you would like information specified above to the above address.
WCNY is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
WCNY seeks a dynamic, self-motivated and customer service focused individual to be responsible for the ongoing, assessment, installation, and maintenance for the uninterrupted operation of all its media distribution platforms including but not limited to computer and network operations, broadcast and production systems of its TV & Radio stations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain and operate the electronics, and broadcasting equipment that keeps the stations on the air. Establishes maintenance procedures and periodic checks to ensure high quality performance of all (TV & Radio) broadcast & transmission equipment at studio & transmission towers located in Syracuse, Sentinel Heights, Utica, Pompey & Watertown.
- Troubleshoot to the board, module or component level as required.
- Work safely with single phase and 3 phase AC power systems up to 480 Volts and with low voltage high current DC power and distribution systems.
- Install wiring of all types through walls and overhead, cable trays, passageways or under raised floors; to bend and shape conduits (thinwall) and to work with PVC or Rigid conduits when necessary.
- Work with Bolt-On breakers and other electrical components, including fused and un-fused disconnects, and distribution equipment including transfer switches, surge suppressors, line voltage regulators and transformers
- Ensure station is in compliance with federal and local regulations.
- Provide ongoing assessment installation and maintenance of all radio and television broadcast equipment to include RF, IT, analog, digital, production, and editing.
- Purchase, manage and maintain inventory of spare parts and supplies.
- Troubleshoot unexpected situations confidently, calmly and effectively.
- Write and update documentation for all systems, workflows, etc.
- Communicates with other members to effectively resolve equipment and system issues.
Qualifications, Requirements and Skills
- Minimum 5 years working experience in a broadcast environment.
- This would include analog and digital audio and video systems, and familiarity with the associated server and transport systems.
- AAS Degree in electronics technology or equivalent experience. Ability to troubleshoot analog and digital circuitry to the component level preferred, but board level acceptable.
- Post graduate SBE Certification or equivalent experience necessary.
- Panasonic Cameras, Ross Switchers, SSL Audio (MADI based) and Ross CG in studio.
- A working knowledge of Grounding and Bonding to reduce noise in electric circuits and to prevent lightning and static damage.
- GatesAir and PRE Audio for FM. Evertz and GatesAir STL Transport for TV and FM.
- Ability to work with single and 3 phase AC power circuits up to 480 volts. DC power circuits in a wide range of voltages and currents.
- Provide support for Solid State FM and UHF TV transmitters, including those 60 miles from Syracuse.
- Experience with liquid cooling systems, including pumps, heat exchangers, and temperature and flow control essential.
- TVRO Satellite systems experience also desirable.
- Experience with HVAC systems helpful, but not required.
- Diesel based Emergency Power familiarity also helpful.
- Clear and concise communication with manufacturer’s technical support, vendors, State and Federal agencies and other engineers as well as co-workers a must, including telephone and e-mail support for viewers and listeners.
- Knowledge of FCC Rules and Filings and keeping of logs.
WCNY is an equal opportunity employer.
This is a temporary, 8-week assignment with the possibility of full- time employment.
Job Type: Temporary