WCNY, Central New York’s own member-supported public broadcasting station, is an exciting, cutting-edge multimedia company leveraging TV, radio, social media and print and was the proud winner of the CenterState CEO 2014 Business of the Year award in the nonprofit category. WCNY reaches 19 counties and nearly 2 million people with content that inspires, educates, and entertains.
WCNY provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Our Human Resource department reviews every application. Unfortunately, because of the high volume of applications we receive, we cannot guarantee a response to every one. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Post Production Assistant
Job Type: Part-time
WCNY, Central New York’s public broadcasting station, is an Emmy Award-winning, cutting-edge multimedia company and winner of the CenterState CEO 2014 Business of the Year award in the nonprofit category. WCNY’s reach spans 19 counties and over 1.8 million people with content that inspires, educates, and entertains.
Your video production skills and experience would support media management and post production assignments in WCNY’s post production department. We seek candidates with experience organizing and ingesting media and building excellent business relationships with content development partners.
A WCNY Post Production Assistant reports to the Director of Post Production and manages file maintenance, studio recordings, and post production projects for WCNY Production, Marketing, Membership and Auction departments.
This Post Production Assistant delivers content to WCNY’s master control service partner and deliverables to WCNY programming and production clients and external partners; including distribution organizations, independent content producers and clients of WCNY’s production company, 415 Productions.
Duties of the Post Production Assistant include, but are not limited to:
- Organizing, ingesting, managing and curating media and meta data while maintaining production file quality standards, QC reporting and collaboration with production staff.
- Video content editing; requiring experience with non-linear video editing through Adobe Premier.
- Managing in- studio content recording processes; including how to prepare all camera, lighting and audio systems for performance for production.
- Operating both in-studio and field cameras for any WCNY production assignment
- Communicating with all WCNY departments reliant on content and media management.
WCNY seeks diversely skilled candidates with experience operating cameras, lights and production systems for both studio and field production. The candidate will display:
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and personal demeanor
- A high level of organization and attention to detail in all aspects of the role of managing WCNY media files, studio recordings and post-produced content
- Confidence as a troubleshooter and first responder in management of WCNY media files, live recordings and content transfer
- Creative, resourceful problem solving skills
- Comfort in a fast-paced, multi-tasked environment.
- Minimum two-year media or television production degree or two years of experience in television production or media content creation or management.
- Media content computer skills, including working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Licensed driver.
Media Sales Executive
Media Sales Executive
WCNY is a dynamic, forward-thinking organization, celebrating 50 years of creating award-winning content, programs and services for our community – and we are poised for major growth and amazing things to come. WCNY, Central New York’s own member-supported public broadcasting station, is an exciting, cutting-edge multimedia company leveraging TV, radio, web, social media and print. WCNY reaches 19 counties and nearly 1.8 million people with content that inspires, educates, and entertains.
Do you have the right stuff?
- Are you a selling virtuoso, able to take lots of objections and overcome them with the right training and an awesome team behind you?
- Do you have the knack for turning around problem projects and creating amazing partnerships with businesses and organizations?
- Do you thrive in environments that put you to the test and give you room to show your stuff?
If you bring…
- Proven experience in prospecting new clients, generating sales leads, and closing the sale
- Awesome people skills and a fresh, polished, sophisticated, and playful attitude
- A “teamwork makes the dream work” mindset
- Outstanding technical chops in PowerPoint and Excel
- An organized mindset, so despite your creativity, your inner nerd sweats the details and is pleased by well-crafted proposals and presentations
- Good humor, curiosity, and a sense of responsibility
Then we offer…
- A brand and reputation that open doors (In January 2016, PBS was named the most trusted institution in America for the 13th year in a row.)
- The opportunity to sell more than just “spots and dots”; we build long-term partnerships that bring immense value to our clients they can’t get anywhere else.
- A team that has heart, that’s proud to be stretching its wings, that’s highly respected in the organization, and that’s making change and is hungry for more.
- A coach that has the skills to help you hone yours.
- A culture that sparks and celebrates innovation.
- Leadership that listens to your ideas.
- Unique challenges and opportunities beyond just winning deals.
- A studio space that’s beautiful, high tech, ultra-modern but super historic, and Platinum LEED certified (in fact, we’re the only broadcaster in the world that is.)
- An infrastructure that helps you win deals, not shackles you.
- Recognition for outstanding work.
- Competitive pay, quality benefits, and decent coffee.
Interested? Get in touch and tell us why. (Please note, applicants without a cover letter will not be considered.)
Director, Engineering & Information Systems
Director, Engineering & Information Systems
WCNY seeks an energetic and detail-oriented individual to manage the successful operation of WCNY’s technical and building facilities and to oversee and provide support on the various needs of other departments. The Director of Engineering & Information Systems leads the team responsible for the uninterrupted operation of all television, radio, IT, and building management systems. A successful candidate must be a good multi-tasker with prior experience in television and/or radio broadcast as well as a working knowledge of IT systems and technologies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for managing and participating in the successful, sustained operation of all technology; including software systems, television and radio production systems, radio and television transmitters, building and facilities, and all IT and network systems.
- Perform and/or supervise general and preventative maintenance on all broadcast, IT, and building facilities equipment.
- Responsible for the creation and management of capital and operational budgets.
- Provide strategic planning and guidance towards organization goals; developing long-range plans for systems upgrades and implementation of new technologies.
- Maintain the execution of a comprehensive cross-training program for all Engineering & IT personnel.
- Be available on-call for technical emergencies for technical operations (IT, radio, production, and facilities) and act as back-up for the transmitter maintenance engineer on emergencies when necessary.
- Provide guidance and support with the development and implementation of all current and future projects, special, facilities rentals, and other new business initiatives.
- Stay current on state-of-the-art developments in IT, production, and broadcast technical areas and make recommendations to senior leadership when necessary.
- Supervises broadcast, facilities, and IT engineers.
Credentials and Experience
- At least 5 years of experience working in the television and radio technology field.
- Minimum of Associates Degree in Electronics Technology, Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
- Must have extensive broadcast operations experience in television and radio operations.
- Working knowledge of television and radio digital studio broadcast and production systems including: video server technology, digital HD and SD signal routing and switching, digital SD and HD encoding technologies and techniques, television and radio automation and traffic systems and the interface of these systems, audio encoding, routing and storage, television and radio editing systems, large disk-based video and audio storage systems and integration of the broadcast and production environment into an IT system.
- Thorough knowledge and experience with television and radio transmission, microwave, and remote control systems.
- Knowledge of FCC license and reporting requirements.
- Thorough knowledge of the operation of state-of-the-art radio and television studios and associated systems.
- Highly developed computer skills; experience with designing, installing and maintaining a windows based computer network system with at least 50 users is a plus.
- Effective understanding of Microsoft Office and Server 2008R2 and 2012R2 operating systems.
- Effective supervisory skills. Must work in collaborative manner, and foster a team spirit.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and perform multiple assignments under pressure and within deadline.
- Be able to work effective in a growing company, in a dynamic environment while ensuring that cross-departmental demands needs are fulfilled and expectations met.
- Great communication skills with a strong desire to provide outstanding customer service and interact effectively with all levels of WCNY staff.
- Must possess a valid NYS driver’s license and have reliable transportation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, speak, and listen. The employee frequently is required to use hands, fingers and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
You can also mail your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
415 W. Fayette St.
Syracuse, NY 13204
Notice to Organizations Assisting Job Seekers:
If your organization distributes information about employment opportunities to job seekers or refers job seekers to employers, and would like to receive job vacancy notices for WCNY, please provide WCNY with the name, mailing address, e-mail address (if applicable), telephone number, fax number, and contact person and identify the category of vacancies for which you would like information specified above to the above address.
WCNY is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.